Sunday, March 8, 2020

My Emotions Whilst Reading Barrio Boy

 
I was impacted quite a lot while reading part 1 of Barrio Boy by Ernesto Galarza. Ernesto describes his surroundings so completely that one is left with a very vivid picture of what his original home looked like. I was drawn in quickly, especially when Ernesto started talking about the dog that he was supposed to look after and grow up with, Neron. He recounts many fond memories of the dog, and was casually talking about him when all of a sudden he had been bitten and contracted rabies. 

This surprised me to an extent. I had been expecting Neron to be Ernesto's guide, his friend throughout life. Instead, he had to be put down by the people who loved him the most. It was extremely emotional for me, because my dog almost died last year and I know that pain must have been brutal for him. It sounds bad, but this is what really made me get into the book. This dramatic event drew me in and made me realize that this story is going to be an amazing one!

Galarza, E. (2011).  Barrio boy.  Notre Dame, IN:  University of Notre Dame Press.
pp. 32

No comments:

Post a Comment